... to the wonderful world of Catalyst, the MVC framework that makes web development fun, fast, and rewarding!
- Newest Slides
- Older Slides
- Getting Started
- Background knowledge that Catalyst expects you to have...a very short intro to Apache, Template Toolkit, etc.
- Tutorial application from Catalyst::Manual::Tutorial for those too lazy to read/copy/paste.
- Introductions to MVC concepts and practice from Catalyst Users
- Installing lighttpd and FastCGI for Catalyst
- The main Catalyst documentation, from CPAN
- Detailed chart of Catalyst's processing flow. A must read once you get your feet wet.
- Best Practices for writing Catalyst apps?
- How to use catalyst with the perl debugger
- Some advice on tests
- draft Catalyst quick reference card (PDF and PostScript)
- Issues that people have faced and how they solved them
- Available Models, Views, and Plugins and their current status
- List of all existing documentation, stating if it's valid, up to date and complete. All authors please fill out.
- List of Advent Calendar topics covered in the 2005 Advent Calendar
- List of Advent Calendar 2006 topics covered in the 2006 Advent Calendar
- List of Advent Calendar 2007 topics covered in the 2007 Advent Calendar
Considering Catalyst for your project? Have a look at these:
- Short article about why a company chose to refactor a legacy C++ XML application using Catalyst, Template Toolkit and DBIX::Class http://software-reviews.summer-snowstorm.com/content/view/17/27/
- A followup article on this about why to chose perl http://lists.scsys.co.uk/pipermail/catalyst/2007-February/012135.html
IRC perl.org network, channel "#catalyst"
Installation / Download
There are several ways to get Catalyst. In addition to the standard CPAN and CPANPLUS methods, there are two quick install methods:
CatInABox: a complete package that can be installed easily on *nix and Windows without CPAN. It is available for download at http://handelframework.com/downloads/CatInABox.tar.gz. Once you have extracted the files just run start.bat on Windows or start.sh on *nix.
Shadowcat Installer: http://www.shadowcatsystems.co.uk/static/cat-install. This is a script that works with CPAN and automatically sets defaults so you can have a non-interactive install. Prerequisites include: perl 5.8.1+, a make and a compiler (nmake and dev-c++ are good on windows), a configured CPAN.pm and Module::Build installed. This installs Catalyst only and does not include the additional modules in Task::Catalyst.
* worked flawlessly on CentOS 4.3 x86_64 and SUSE 10.
Task::Catalyst: This is a package available via CPAN. It includes additional modules such as the Prototype plugin and TT View.
Debian Linux provides packages (invoke apt-cache search catalyst).
- InstantCrud http://search.cpan.org/~zby/Catalyst-Example-InstantCRUD-0.0.20/ For getting your feet wet by installing a sample application, I recommend this. On a relatively virgin catalyst install, with a non-root account at a web hoster, I wasn't able to install any of the other "samples" mentioned below. InstantCRUD, by contrast, seemed to Just Work.
- MiniMojo? http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2005/06/02/catalyst.html?page=2 and Mojo Mojo
- Handel (shopping cart) http://search.cpan.org/~claco/Handel-1.00006/
- Devel-ebug http://search.cpan.org/dist/Devel-ebug/
- Hops http://simonf.com/catalyst/ (you can download code, but the demo doesn't work)
- ServerDB http://www.hybridized.org/catalyst/
- EasyCMS http://dev.palle.net/svn/users/omega/easycms/trunk/
- CRUD application Note: this is cdbi-based stuff. I'll port it to dbic asap.
- PDFJoin.zip Simple app to join pdf files using PDF::API2
- SOSA (Samba and Open-xchange Simple Administrator - Coming soon!) http://sosa.sourceforge.net
- Typeface (Blog) http://typeface-project.org/
Sites Using Catalyst
- Takkle - Online social network for high school athletes http://www.takkle.com
- Vox - Online social blogging sight http://www.vox.com
- EditGrid? - Online, real-time updating spreadsheet service designed for extreme collaboration and real world use http://www.editgrid.com/
- MighTyV - Award winning telly-software by leading perl hackers http://www.mightyv.com/
- iusethis http://osx.iusethis.com (I use this, what do you use?)
- Nyheter.abcsok.no - Search in norwegian news - Catalyst & Xapian http://nyheter.abcsok.no
- Hybridized - Live & DJ Mixes from selected electronic artists http://www.hybridized.org
- Oxford English Dictionary Sci-Fi Quotations Database http://www.jessesword.com/sf
- Natural History Book Service http://www.nhbs.co.uk/catalogue/
- Chicks-on-vinyl http://www.chicksonvinyl.com/ (potentially NSFW)
- PerlChina http://member.perlchina.org/, Catalyst Advent Calendar (Chinese Version http://catalyst.perlchina.org/calendar)
- Denshi Jisho - Japanese dictionary http://jisho.org/
- University of Florida Phonebook http://phonebook.ufl.edu/
- Podbop - Podcasting bands coming to your town http://podbop.org/
- NALD: Library http://library.nald.ca/, http://bibliotheque.bdaa.ca/, Newswire http://newswire.nald.ca/, http://filsdepresse.bdaa.ca/, Events http://events.nald.ca, http://evenements.bdaa.ca/
- backend of the appartment/housing part of ny.no. (in norwegian) http://www.ny.no/bolig
- Dresdner Ball Street http://www.dresdner-ball-street.de/ (German WM 2006 Stockexchange Game)
- itXcel Internet Ltd UK Web Hosting
- Vancitylofts http://www.vancitylofts.com (A Vancouver Lofts based real estate site)
- Barrypockay.com http://www.barrypockay.com (Catalyst driven listings system)
- Williamson Computing Services Limited - WCS - Oracle, Open Source and Linux Experts http://www.wcsnet.co.uk/
- Gliding Club of Victoria http://www.gliding-benalla.org
- http://letsgetdugg.com/ (blog)
- Austrian radio station Oe1 http://oe1.orf.at/
- MoneyTV http://www.be24.at/
- http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ : Manchester Evening News, Britain's largest regional newspaper.
- PictureTrail? (In Progress): http://www.picturetrail.com
- https://www.flexitimemanager.net/subscribe : Flexi Time Manager offers an online flexi time database for recording the hours you work in a flexi time sheet.
- Suretec Systems Ltd. - Linux and Open Source Systems Integrators http://www.suretecsystems.com/
- Mandriva Linux Community Hardware Compatibility List http://hcl.mandriva.com/
- Handel Framework - A simple commerce framework with AxKit?/TT/Catalyst support. http://handelframework.com/
- Beyahad - Israeli bi-polar self-help group organizers http://www.beyahad.info/
- Clacos Photos/Meios Demo http://photos.icantfocus.com/
- Art, Liturgy, and Religious Cult in Late Antiquity and the Middle Ages Workshop http://artlit.woobling.org/
- FSCMS http://kieren.diment.org (A filesystem based CMS, to be part of social software for academics. Source code to follow.
- Florian Ragwitz' homepage http://perldition.org/
- Scrpbk.com gives its users something between a blog, a bookmark collection, a personal website and a scrapbook. What it is for you is your call. ( help improve scrpbk ) http://scrpbk.com/
- The Covers Project - Database of cover songs http://www.coversproject.com/
Open Source projects using Catalyst
- Angerwhare - http://search.cpan.org/search?query=angerwhale
- CPANTS (The CPAN Testing Service) - http://cpants.perl.org
- Parley (forum / message board) http://developer.berlios.de/projects/parley/
- MojoMojo wiki
- App-CamelPKI - http://search.cpan.org/~grm/App-CamelPKI-0.04/
- FileZ - http://search.cpan.org/~eriam/FileZ-0.01_01/
- Mango : Ecommerce solution using Catalyst, Handel and DBIx::Class (blog)
- Handel : Shopping cart/order/checkout framework (http://handelframework.com/)
- NetHorus network management system
There are companies and individuals offering commercial support for Catalyst.
- Shadowcat Systems (http://www.shadowcatsystems.co.uk)
- Suretec Systems Ltd. (http://www.suretecsystems.com)
- Robert Sedlacek (http://474.at - Hamburg, GER)
Frequently Asked Questions
(Note: FAQs that are now part of the documentation have been removed from this wiki.)
- Unified FAQ
- Project roadmap, aka "what you can find in next releases"
- Fringe Benefits - Getting the most out of Catalyst prerequisites
- How to modify the scaffolding to have the list sortable by columns
- How do I check out the latest and greatest Catalyst from subversion?! -- svn co http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/repos/Catalyst/
Core Developer Team
- draven - Marcus Ramberg
- andyg - Andy Grundman
- the_jester - Jesse Sheidlower
- mst - Matt S. Trout
- nothingmuch - Yuval Kogman
- LTjake - Brian Cassidy
- Ningu? - David Kamholz
- jrockway - Jonathan Rockway
- chansen - Christian Hansen
Wiki Site Map
- The List (you might want to read this before you post)
- Archives Searchable Archive
- Gmane interface to comp.web.catalyst.general
- German Mailing List
Development Wish List
- The UN 'beer for features' program
- The 'I wrote a new feature for Catalyst and all I got was this lousy t-shirt' program
- Catalyst-flow.jpg (20.1 kB) - added by anonymous on 07/15/05 00:20:50.
- deployment_os_logos.png (5.5 kB) - added by anonymous on 08/01/05 00:31:18.
- 111-catalyst.gif (4.3 kB) - added by anonymous on 08/01/05 01:08:32.
- catalyst_actions.png (43.6 kB) -
how and when the actions are called, added by oliver on 10/17/05 19:30:46.
- catalyst_actions.2.png (37.1 kB) -
how and when the actions are called, added by anonymous on 10/26/05 11:36:31.
- catalyst-flow.png (98.2 kB) -
How and when the actions are called; colored with "catalyst" red theme., added by APV <email@example.com> on 10/28/05 01:55:04.
- tutorial.tar.gz (40.8 kB) -
The tutorial application, as of 23 Feb 06., added by kd on 02/24/06 13:18:02.
- MiniMojoDBIC.tar.gz (40.7 kB) -
MiniMojo? refactored to use DBIC and MiniMojo::Controller::Root, added by kd on 06/18/06 04:16:13.
- CrudApp.zip (217.7 kB) -
Sample CDBI-based crud application with crud controller and templates., added by mmarch on 07/19/06 09:22:55.
- PDFJoin.zip (50.7 kB) - added by mmarch on 11/02/06 10:49:58.
- deployment_os_logos_new.png (7.3 kB) -
ported to OpenBSD, add the logo., added by janus on 11/04/06 13:04:00.